Friday, July 30, 2010

On all fours again

I didn't realise last night when Jacob came off the bed that he had hurt his ankle. He was getting off the bed like he normally does but this time he tumbled off and gave a much bigger cry than normal. I heard his cry and picked him up in my arms and cuddled him to try and comfort him. I had found him with his hands on his chin thinking that he had bumped it on the edge of the bed as he seem so distraught by the fall. I couldn't understand why he was so upset and just tried to calm him down. Eventually I gave him some milk and cuddled him until him fell asleep in my arms. 

The poor little bubs. He had cried so much that he had tired himself out. 

I woke up this morning with Jacob giving me a big smile and thought that he was alright from his fall. He seemed his usual perky self, a cheeky grin on his face and another start to the day. It was like any other day where he would get out of the bed and run not walk out of the room but this time something was wrong. He managed to get off the bed by putting his left leg down first but as soon as his right foot touched the ground his whole body slumped down. He was crying again like last night, a deep cry and I knew he was in pain. I thought perhaps it was pins and needles like when you sleep funny and your leg just falls asleep. 

I quickly got off the bed and picked him up and comforted him. He was upset about it all and I told him that his foot had probably fallen asleep. He had calmed down and so I carried him out to the living room and sat him down on the sofa while I went to get his breakfast. I thought he would be ok by this time and the pins and needles would have gone by now.

He cried out to me again in pain. He had tried to get off the sofa and walk but he was on the floor again. I rushed out to see how he was and saw that he was in tears and he tried to stand up again and that's when I saw something wasn't right. He looked at me and I could see that he couldn't bare any weight on his right foot. His foot was arched like he was standing on his tippy toes and every time he tried to flatten his foot he was in pain. And that's when I picked him up and asked him if it hurt. He pointed to his foot and said "Hurts. Ouch". I took a look at both ankles to compare and push his foot back and gently rotated it. There didn't seem to be any swelling, discolouration or any bruising and that's when I thought it might be a fracture or sprained ankle. 

I called hubby to come home so we could go to the clinic to have Jacob checked out just to make sure everything was alright. As soon as he got back we rushed off to the clinic and the doctor examined Jacob. She had a look at how he tried to stand and looked at both ankles and noticed that it was slightly warm to touch on his right so she requested an x-ray and blood test to look for any fractures and check for inflammation. I was getting worried at this point but Jacob was his cheery self amusing himself by trying to talk to the doctor. The last time he had an x-ray and blood test he was admitted to hospital when he was only 16 days old but that's another long story. 

We got into the x-ray department and Jacob just took one long look at the machine and freaked out. I tried to calm him down by telling him it was just a big camera but it didn't help much. He let out a big cried and struggled on the examination table. We had to restrain him down so that they could take an x-ray of his feet. He was so strong and he fought so hard to get off the table. I couldn't bare to see him like this with big tears in his eyes and screaming at the top of his voice. They took two x-rays and it was over. The instant I picked him up in my arms he stopped crying and turned to point at the x-ray  machine and he was okay again.

With the x-ray results in hand we had to make our way to pathology for some blood work. I wasn't looking forward to this. He was calm and happy that we had moved away from the x-ray machine. We were called for our turn and I sat down with Jacob on my lap. As soon as the cold swab came down on his hand he knew something was up and by the time he realised this the needle when into his hand to draw the blood. A deep scream echoed through the room and he was sobbing again in my arms. It was painful to see him like this again. 

All finished and we were off again walking back to the doctor's room with the results. I'm lucky that the clinic has all of these facilities in one place but I was fortunate that they hadn't closed up for the day or else we would have had to go to the children's hospital to get everything done. Anyway the results were good, no broken bones, no fractures. It was a muscular strain on his ankle which would take a few days to get better. I could breath again with relief that it wasn't serious. I think Jacob knew that as well because he was asking the doctor for "more" and "that" (his two fav words) and pointing at this and that in the room. He was going to be okay, just some rest and something for the pain. 
Having a well rested snooze.
We got home and I put Jacob down on the floor and he immediately got on all fours and was crawling around the living room. He was back again to his old self but just moving a little slower and I knew that probably by this time next week he'll be running around the house again like any curious little toddler. 


  1. Hi! I'm your newest follower from the Friday blog hops!!! :) A little late, but being the mom of 6 that I am I don't want anyone to feel left out. :) Nice to meet you! Your children are beautiful. I have a son named Jacob too! :)

    Hope you'll come visit me soon and follow back.
    Lisa xoxo
    Raising Future Leaders




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...